Is Your Cache Crispy Fresh?18 Dec 2015
For my day job, I work at a company called Aeris Weather. Among other things, our company sells weather data services via a pretty robust data API, and a map tile server.
I just finished writing up a post for the company blog about how we came to roll our own caching library:
There are several great caching libraries out there, but we had trouble finding something that matched all of our requirements:
- Can cache any type of resource (ie, not just an http cache)
- Can serve “stale” data, while pre-fetching fresh data for the next request
- Can control memory usage with configurable limits
- Provides a clean separation between business logic and the cache layer
- Locks cache misses, so we don’t have to worry about cache-stampeding when a resource expires.
Nothing we found quite fit that bill, so my colleague Seth Miller decided to roll his own instead called CrispCache.
Check it out, let me know what you think!